Our role as a Toi Tōtara Haemata organisation
Read NZ Te Pou Muramura currently holds a key role for literature in Aotearoa New Zealand as a Toi Tōtara Haemata organisation, under Creative New Zealand’s funding programme. We develop and deliver the key role activities associated with the literature key role.
The literature key role activities are to
- Offer an integrated programme of activity that works in partnership with writers, publishers and other organisations and institutions to increase and diversify the readership and sales of New Zealand literature within New Zealand.
- Benchmark, collate and report to Creative New Zealand on sales and readership data for New Zealand literature within New Zealand.
- Promote New Zealand writers and publications through targeted programmes.
- Promote the work of Māori and Pasifika writers and writers from New Zealand's diverse communities.
- Collate and provide information on services available to New Zealand writers.
- Develop and deliver programmes that promote the reading of New Zealand literature by, with, and for young people - especially in educational settings.
As part of our delivery of key role activities, we
- Collaborate with other arts organisations and practitioners.
- Enable Aotearoa New Zealand's diverse communities, including Māori and Pasifika communities, to participate in high quality arts experiences.
- Provide opportunities and/or services that strengthen and develop writing in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Contribute to the broader development of the arts sector and arts infrastructure in Aotearoa New Zealand.