The SPCA Reading Challenge is a new online programme from Read NZ Te Pou Muramura and our friends at the SPCA. It brings together our tamariki’s love for animals and books in a super fun summer competition, promoting both reading and caring for pets and wildlife!
You and your whānau might have enjoyed our previous competitions: the Super Smash Reading Challenge (2019) and the Stay Home Book Club (during lockdown, April 2020).
The SPCA Reading Challenge is very similar, but we took on your feedback to make some changes to how it works:
- The leaderboard is now the ‘readerboard’. It just made sense!
- We have divided this readerboard into three age groups. There are three teams for each age group. When a player signs up, they can choose from three assigned teams, and will therefore ‘compete’ with children of the same age and general reading level. We hope this increases the fun of the game but it doesn’t mean we think there are certain books you should read at different ages. We want to encourage you to read as widely as you like!
- If you’ve played before you’ll remember that sometimes it took a little while for your book to be ‘approved’ and show on the site. We now have a handy-dandy automatic logging system thanks to Nielsen Bookdata! How to use:
Click on ''Manage my books''. From here, click ''Add a book'' then choose from these options:
- Online story session
If choosing a book, type in the title but don’t press the enter key. Please be patient – the automated system takes about half a minute or so. When you see your book appear in the drop-down list, click it with your mouse or use the arrow keys to choose it. The book should then automatically appear in your listing. It will publish straight away.
If you don’t see your book in the drop-down list, you can override the system and just fill it in manually. Your entry will need to be approved by us before it appears on your profile page, though.
If choosing another category, just click that icon and fill out the form. Please note the automated listing won’t work on non-book options.
- Each player will have a limit of five logged items per day.
- To choose a team to play for: you will be given three options in a drop-down list upon sign up. Have a look at the readerboard to find your favourite animal character in your age group.
Sign up for the SPCA Reading Challenge by registering at reading-challenge.org.nz
For reading tips and other information, click here
Download SPCA Reading Challenge posters to print by clicking here
We hope your child enjoys being part of the SPCA Reading Challenge.
Please email us if you have any questions or concerns: email@example.com