Storylines Children’s Literature Trust Te Whare Waituhi Tamariki o Aotearoa is pleased to announce ten novels by New Zealand authors for young readers, chosen as Storylines Notable Books 2021.
The list, covering novels published from 1 January 2020 to 31 July 2021, is released in conjunction with the Kids’ Pick Award run by Storylines in association with TV2’s What Now programme.
The author of the winning Kids’ Pick book, chosen from the Storylines list by intermediate-age children, will be presented with the award live on 14 November by New Zealand Te Awhi Rito Reading Ambassador Ben Brown.
Christine Young, Chair of Storylines Trust, noted that the judges had commented particularly on the very high standard of this year’s entries.
“We’re delighted to announce a list of ten exceptional junior fiction novels that emphasise the depth of New Zealand publishing for young emerging readers.
“The list includes established writers Des Hunt, David Hill, Bernard Beckett, T.K. Roxborogh, Leonie Agnew, Bill Nagelkerke, and Mary-anne Scott, alongside newer writers represented by Jonathan King and Anna Kenna.
“Reflecting the high standard of the entries, judges also chose two highly commended books, Partners in Slime by Storylines Tom Fitzgibbon Award winner Belinda O’Keefe and The Forever Horse by perennially popular author Stacy Gregg.”
The selection was made by a panel of seven experts in children’s literature, appointed by Storylines.
The Storylines Notable Book Awards were begun in 1999 to bring to public attention the best of New Zealand publishing in five genres: Junior Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Nonfiction, Picture Books and Te Reo Māori.
The full lists in all genres will be published in early November. The winning authors and illustrators will be presented with their awards at a function on a date to be announced.
Further details are available on www.storylines.org.nz/Awards/Storylines
The full list of 2021 Storylines Junior Fiction Notable Books is:
• Mallory, Mallory: The Revenge of the Tooth Fairy, by James Norcliffe, illustrations by Emily Walker (Penguin Random House NZ – Puffin, September 2020)
• The Inkberg Enigma, text and illustrations by Jonathan King (Gecko Press, August 2020)
• Viola Vincent Reporting - Troubled Water, by Anna Kenna (Tiromoana Publishing, September 2020)
• Charlie Tangaroa and the Creature from the Sea, by T K Roxborogh, illustrations by Phoebe Morris (Huia Publishers, September 2020)
• Red Edge, by Des Hunt (Scholastic New Zealand, September 2020)
• Spearo, by Mary-anne Scott (OneTree House, September 2020) • Three Scoops: Stories by David Hill, by David Hill, illustrations by Lisa Allen (OneTree House, July 2021)
• The Memory Thief, by Leonie Agnew, illustrations by Kieran Rynhart (Penguin Random House NZ – Puffin, July 2021)
• The Tunnel of Dreams, by Bernard Beckett (Text Publishing, September 2020)
• The Ghosts on the Hill, by Bill Nagelkerke, illustrations by Theo Macdonald (The Cuba Press, July 2020)
• Partners in Slime, by Belinda O’Keefe (Scholastic New Zealand 2021)
• The Forever Horse, by Stacy Gregg (HarperCollins 2021)